Monday, May 12, 2008

A SLOW TWITCHER!


Observation of the Day!

From the Marion High School class of 1955 prophecy. “Sam Arnold broke his own record in the 100 yard dash -50.1” Unfortunately, that was not far from the truth. Later I learned that I was a victim of slow-twitch muscle fibers. It really is in the genes. A slow twitcher can be an athlete, but no matter how hard a person works they will never be a more than a journeyman jock.

In junior high school we had a “decathlon” competition in the spring semester in connection with physical education class. Points were earned on a scale based on how well you did as an individual in each event. Theoretically, based on increasing strength and maturity, a student should win a bronze medal in the seventh grade, a silver in the eighth and a gold in the ninth. In the late winter months we would do sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups etc in the gym. As the weather got better in the spring, we moved to outside events, 100 yard dash, standing and running broad-jump, pole vault etc. It all culminated with an all-school field day where you took your final outdoor test to earn points. The decathlon was the basis of the class prophecy statement. I never won any medal in any grade.

My lack of athletic ability did not deter me from my overall love of sports and it didn’t stop me from trying out for baseball and basketball teams right up until my sophomore year in high school when I went out for baseball. That was the last team I tried out for. Naturally, I never survived the first cut in any sport I attempted.

Today I play golf. It is an individual sport you can play for a life time. I can break 100 regularly. that's not great, but better than many who play the game. The greatest benefit of golf is the friends you meet and make. I shot a 94 today in a lot of Minnesota wind. I had fun I think.

Have a nice day!

Sam

No comments: