Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A LADY OF CLASS!


ANNIKA!

Annika Sorenstam announced her retirement from the LPGA at 37 years of age. The game will miss her, but she is going out at the top. She will concentrate on her upcoming marriage, her new golf academy, golf course design, a clothing line and perhaps most important, starting a family. Her records speak for themselves. She is a champion both on and off the golf course.

22 million dollars in career earnings.

72 career tournament victories, third most behind Kathy Whitworth (88) and Mickey Wright (82).

10 major victories, tied for fourth all time and five behind record-setter Patty Berg.

59 strokes in a single round, the lowest in LPGA history.

6 women, including Sorenstam, to complete career Grand Slam.

8 LPGA player of the year awards – a record- including five consecutive seasons until Lorena Ochoa ended the streak in 2006.

58 years since a woman had competed on the PGA Tour, before she did so at the Colonial in 2003. She missed the cut. But earned respect for the way she comported herself amid massive scrutiny.

She is already a member of the LPGA Hall of Fame.

Tiger called her the greatest lady golfer of all time.

She still has the remainder of the 2008 season to add to these numbers, and who knows how she much more she might have accomplished if she continued to play. She goes out on top and with class. She has her priorities in order.

I would like to add my comments on the Annika I know. No, I really don’t know her personally, but I have seen her play and practice many times at various LPGA tournaments I have attended over the years. Of course it was a pleasure to watch her game, but the thing that sticks in my mind most is the way she conducts herself on the golf course and around her fans. She was always a lady. My son, Tim, and I attended the Solheim Cup at Interlachen Counrty Club in Minnesota. As she passed, Tim said, ‘”Good luck”! She could have easily walked on by, but she answered with a thank you. She made Tim a fan of Annika and the LPGA. At the Tucson Open she signed a personalized poster for my nephew, who is legally blind.

I took the picture above. I had squatted down to catch the shot while she was signing autographs, She looked up and smiled for my camera. I have seen her gracefully grant photo opportunities for young girls and giving her gloves and balls to fans. Her fans and I will miss this classy lady.

Have a nice day!

Sam

No comments: