Tuesday, January 15, 2008

THIS JUST IN!



Janury 15, 2008

When I worked for Technomic Consultants I once gave a presentation of a study we had done for IBP(Iowa Beef Processors). We were honored to present to Bob Peterson CEO of IBP. I don’t know if he was from Texas, but he sure sounded like it. I was presenting something that I had not written. It was pure consultant speak. In other worlds it was a lot of high class BS and buzzwords.

After I finished presenting the BS and buzzwords, Bob looked up and in his Texas drawl said, “Whud the hail did you just say?”. He was right of course.

Now some thirty years later, I am sad to report consultant BS and buzzwords have not disappeared in the consulting world. What brought this story to mind was a portion of my brother’s weekly editorial.

KOLD News 13 General Manager Brother Jim Arnold

Each year has its buzzwords. I actually saw a quote that is buzz word enthusiasts dream. In part - "One of the benefits of vertical integration is to deploy assets strategically to maximize profitability and reduce risk." Now there is some out of the box thinking.

Whud the hail did he just say?

********

Out of the mouths of babes!

My grand nephew, Joe Waide, (Is that a strong American west name or what? ) is six years old and a kindergartener. His teacher asked him who his new baby brother looked liked.

Without hesitation Joe responded, “ The next door neighbor.”

What he didn’t say is that the next-door neighbor had just had a baby as well, and of course all babies pretty much look alike. My niece was quick to clear that up.

******

My own political poll shows Obama gaining support from my Republican friends. The most glaring example is a couple from Iowa. She in particular has been a leading Republican in Iowa for years. I believe she was actual a delegate at one time. They are supporting Obama. This shocked me and also told me something is a foot.

I saw my first Obama bumper sticker the other day in Minnesota. It was like spotting the first robin of spring.

I see these signs as perhaps signs of the future. I will be observing developments, as we progress. You will not have to watch CNN, MSNBC or the FOX News Channel any more. You will read it here first because my finger is on the pulse of ordinary America.

*****

Kevin Federline showed up for the custody hearing with Brittany Spears in a new suit and a Mohawk. At least he was wearing undapants, we think. Cool! And to think Kevin Federline is the good guy in this case.


Note in San Diego Union Tribune:

“Actor Gary Collins “checked in” at the Glendale, California jail to serve a four day sentence for a DUI.” Checked in??? Did they asked for a credit card? Is the food service all eat in??? Is there maid service???

From your ever watchful observer.

Have a nice day,

Sam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are really getting the hang of the blogging game! Your writing is good and the things blogged are timely. Congrats! Keep up the good work!

One thing I have noticed in this political season thus far is that the whole level of discourse is so much elevated over the nasty 2000 and 2004 campaigns. Real issues are being discussed by both sides. If we can just keep the Cyborg (Romney) out of it, the actual run for the whitehouse will be interesting to follow later this year. TR