Thursday, January 31, 2008

THE MAYOR OF EINSTEINS

PART FOUR

The Mayor of Einsteins

It's Good to be the Mayor

A Little Nirvana at Crosstown and Shady Oak Road

So that’s the story of Einsteins and its mayor. It is a special place, a gathering place. When I started the Blog, I said that I was looking for little Nirvanas, those special places and the feelings they bring to the surface of consciousness. Yes, you can even find an everyday Nirvana at a bagel shop.

Charles Bukowski’s poem,
Nirvana, in my Christmas Observation (copies can be sent via email on request if you didn't get it or lost it) almost captures the feeling of Einsteins. Following is a small excerpt from the poem, but I have changed a few words and the Bukowski poem becomes about Einsteins and me.

“And I sat at the table with the others, and I ordered, the bagel arrived.
And it was particularly good.
And the coffee.

The server was unlike the women I had known.
She was unaffected, and there was a natural humor, which came from her.
And the baker said crazy things.
And the prep person in back laughed a good clean pleasant laugh.

And I watched the snow through the window.
And I wanted to stay there forever.
The curious feeling swam through me that everything was beautiful there.
And it would always stay beautiful there.

And then it was time to leave
And I thought: "I'll just stay here, I'll just stay here."

May we always be looking for the little Nirvanas that surround us every day, and it may surprise you where they are.

THE END

No comments: