Friday, January 11, 2008

Good Vibrations Almost Home

Observation of the Day!

January 10,2008

We left Tucson fairly early for us. After a quickie breakfast, we went north on Interstate 10 and then headed west on Interstate 8. It was the final leg. Actually, the whole trip was a fairly easy journey. The first factor was the weather was perfect except for the early morning fog in Minnesota and northern Iowa. The ability to break the trip up really makes it better. It may take a couple more days, but it is worth it. We get to visit with our niece and her four boys in Roswell and my brother and his family in Tucson.

Many people cannot believe we drive rather than fly. The primary reason is that I am going to be here until the middle of April and I am cheap. Renting a car for that long would be pretty expensive. However, with the price of gas and lodging up it may not be that less expensive.

Along this desert highway there were many beautiful and statuesque Sonora cacti standing like green centurions on the hills and the desert floor, guarding the highway on both sides.

Yuma is about halfway to San Diego; I always get a chuckle as we pass through. Along the highway they’re a numerous RV and motor home parks. There are literally thousands of these prairie schooners parked up close and personal to each other. The biggest park is in the real sandy desert. There is not a tree insight and there are literally more than a thousand vehicles in this park alone. I can’t imagine that anyone would subject themselves to these living conditions, just to brag to their friends that “Yes we always winter in Arizona.” I think I’d rather freeze my ass off.

We scooted across the Imperial Valley and then began our ascent over another mountain. These mountains were a little different than the ones we passed through in New Mexico. These mountains were of boulders and stone. The rocks resembled tombstones in an over-crowded cemetery. We hit 5,000 feet and then began our descent into San Diego.

Our first stop even before we got to the condo, was for an IN-N-OUT burger. In Southern California nothing says welcome “home” better than an IN-N-OUT.

We cross the high sweeping arch of the Coronado Bridge, as I have done so many times. I never get tired of that panoramic picture post card view: the blue Pacific, Point Loma, the Hotel Del Coronado, and my beloved Coronado Golf Course.

At the top of my Blog is a statement that defines Nirvana.

“Nirvana is a special state of perfect happiness and calming peace; free of pain, worry, the external world and our internal self?

Coronado has been my almost perfect Nirvana ever since I first crossed San Diego Bay on the Coronado Ferry on the night of January 6, 1960. That night was a little foggy, and they still anchored the Navy ships in the harbor. There was the sound of foghorns coming across the dark water. I was in uniform and in command of the Coronado Ferry. I will never forget that night. I can’t explain the feeling I have when I am here, but the definition of Nirvana comes pretty close. It is my favorite place on earth.

Anyone who has known me for any time knows my feelings toward this place. I bore people with my love for this island, which isn’t really an island at all. People asked me quite often why I don’t just move here. I will answer that question with a question. Are you married?

Is this a great country, or what?

And the Beach Boys played on!

Have a nice day!

Sam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I looked at the panoramic aerial post cards I have on my refrid. each day I can't help but think of how great it is out there. Glad your there safe. ENJOY!