Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Nearer My God!

Someone in my small group from the Rock Church ask me how long I had been a Christian. It seemed like a simple and straight question, requiring a simple straight forward answer.  My first quick answer was, "All my life". That was true. I hand gone to church all of my life. I was born into the Quaker (First Friends) in Marion, Indiana.

When I got married, I converted to Catholicism. I was a Catholic for 42 years. I left the Catholic Church because of the pediphila scandals and coverup by the church.  It seemed that the protection of the church was more important than the children who were molested.

I discovered the Rock Church about six years ago. A couple of friends ask me to come.The Rock Church is a Mega church, evangelical, non-denominational,having about 13,000 members. At first I did not quit understand the raised hands during the high energy worship band. However, when I  heard Miles McPherson speak, he truly spoke to me. He uses the Bible to talk about our real life. He does it with humor and conviction. I actually heard the message of the sermon, something I rarely did in my Catholic days, when my mind often wandered into the bushes.

One of the things that caught my attention was the diversity of the congregation. All ages, sizes, complexions, tattoos and tank tops. When I saw all this and the size of the congregation, I said to myself, "I don't know what it is, but something's going on here." When I moved to San Diego full time the Rock became my rock.

Even though it is a Mega church, it becomes smaller when you join one of the small groups close to home. Our group have become good friends. The Rock has over a hundred volunteer ministries that puts Christian work to work in the community. I actually know more people from the Rock than any church that I have ever attended. I look forward every Sunday service.

It was at the Rock I discovered what it meant to be a Christian. I guess I am a quiet Christian. I don't preach about the wages of sin. If I find someone who seems to be searching or having a tough time with life, I ask them if they had tried God and invite that them to church. I tell them that it may be somewhat different than your previous experience. You can't force people to God. It's like a druggie or alcoholic, they can't be forced to treatment. They must make the decision for themselves.

I became a true Christian when I finally understood what it means to be a Christian. In other words, I GET IT. To "get it" is to finally understand, the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit. It not about religion, it's about having a personal relationship with God. If we tried to live our lives more like Jesus, the world would be a better place, and we would be better, not perfect, people at all levels of society. What would Jesus do? (WWJD) is a pretty good philosophy, even if you are not a Christian.

When I see the congregation raise their hands to God and worship, they are truly feeling God's presence. It is a feeling of genuine joy. I love when I see broken people come to Altar call in tears, I know they have found a way to peace in their lives. Being a Christian is always a work in progress.
Christ brings out the good in people.

When Mark passed away, it was my faith that got me through it. I assigned no blame to God. "WHY God, why? " never entered my mind because I knew it was God's plan for Mark.

In the future I will explore my path to be nearer to God.

Have a blessed day

Samuel

No comments: