Thursday, March 6, 2008

TOUCHING KIRBY!

Observation of the Day!

A new baseball season is fast approaching. I always thought Spring Training was a great term for the coming of a new season. Just like spring signals warmer weather ahead, Spring Training is always a period of of extreme optimism for the local team, even though you know your guys will be down in the standings in a month or two.

Kirby Puckett died two years ago today. To Minnesota Twins fans, he was the epitomy of the Twins. He was elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. He was Mr. Twin.

I have a few personal memories of Kirby that I will never forget:

My boys and I attended the sixth game of the 1991 World Series. In the club house before the gameKirby said. " Get on my back boys, I'll carry you." And he did. Kirby made a spectacular catch in center field in the top of the ninth and then proceded to hit the game winning home run. As Jack Buck said. "And we'll see you tomorrow night".

It was the greatest baseball game I had ever witnessed to this day, and I got to share this memory with my sons.

*****

Kirby lived not far from where we do. It was really fun and interesting to go to the neighborhood health club and see Kirby Puckett, Hall of Famer, playing pickup basketball in the gym.

*****

I was at Byerly's supermarket in Edina one day and who should be pushing a shopping cart down the aisle toward me, but Kirby himself, Cheerios and all. As I passed I put my hand on his shoulder and said, ' Woman's work is never done is it Kirby? He chuckled and gave me that unforgettable smile. However, the thing I remember most was that his shoulder was like touching a steel ball, even after he retired.

*****

Kirby Puckett was joy. Unfortunately, we will not see him tomorrow night.



Have a nice day and PLAY BALL!

Sammy Carl

No comments: