Sunday, March 9, 2008

LISTENING TO THE DAWN!

When I was a young boy, my brother and I used to spend a few days with our grandmother. It was an old house belonging originally to our great grandparents. We slept up stairs in a dark and scary small half finished bed room, sleeping on an old-fashioned feather bed. I recall to this day those dewy sweet smelling sunny mornings as the summer sun rose. In the distance a turtle dove would make its early morning call. Today when I hear a turtle dove's call, I immediately think of those summer mornings in Jonesboro, Indiana.

Listening To The Dawn

By

Me

Cooo Kaa Koooo, calls the mourning dove; listen to the dawn.

It calls back the black of night and dims the moon to make room for the gray of dawn

It calls to the rising orange of the sun to turn gray to blue and suck back the dampness of morning dew.
.
It calls to its lover, and its lover calls back.

It calls to me, snug in my bed, listening to the dawn.

Its call adds a gentle consistency to my life.

It calls to all who listen to the dawn.

It calls, and then quiet, giving away to the noise of the day.

Cooo Kaa Kooo calls the mourning dove; listen to the dawn.

Cooo Kaa Kooo.

Have a nice day!

Sammy Carl


No comments: