Friday, March 21, 2008

A MEXICAN BAPTISM!

Observation of the Day!

I get emails all the time about the Mexican immigration problem. Some of them are down right racists and some of the information is just not true. I do not support illegal immigration. We need to stop it at the border. We need to have a identification system that works, and then we can punish employers for hiring illegals. The current system does not work. I support a program that will allow current undocumented aliens a path to citizenship. Deportation is just not practical and will break up families with the most harm done to innocent children.

I would put forth that the Mexicans in the United States more represent the concept on which America was founded than some some of the "legal" immigrants. These people at great risk crossed the border for a better life for their families, just as our forefathers.

Much of the views on Mexican immigrants depends on the part of the country you live. Many of the harshest critics have never met a Mexican family on a personal basis. I admit that my views are colored by a Mexican family I have more or less adopted. I am considered the grandfather of the kids. I love them.

Several years ago I attended the baptism of my beautiful granddaughter, Maddie. This is the story.

A Mexican Baptism


A few years ago I had the pleasure of attending a baptism of little Madeline Reyna. She is the eight month old daughter of a young Mexican family I have sort of adopted. Carolina is like the daughter I never had; and Luis, Ricky and Madeline are my grandchildren.
.
As I stood outside the beautiful old Catholic church in South Minneapolis, the various baptismal families began to arrive. It was a heart warming to see the little children dressed in their Sunday best. Their clothes were sparkling and spotless; White dresses for the girls and little white suits for the boys. Each and every one of them was beautiful, innocent and precious.

Later at the baptismal party, the adults all sat in small groups in Spanish conversation. They are bilingual, but prefer Spanish within their group, just as we would prefer English with other Americans if we were bilingual and in Mexico.

There were twenty or more kids who sat together or ran around all speaking fluent, non-accented English. These children are an important piece of the next generation of Americans; piƱatas, tortillas and all.

Our families were all immigrants at one time or another. Many of our own ancestors didn’t speak English, but worked hard and sacrificed to establish the next generation and the future of our families in America. In this modest backyard, full of happy children, I witnessed the legacy of America continue.

God Bless America!

Have a nice day!

Sam

No comments: