Saturday, March 14, 2009

THE PROSPECT!

Observation of the Day!

Last night I took in my first baseball game of the season. It wasn't a Spring Training game. It was a college game, San Diego State vs UNLV. The reason a couple of friends and I ventured out to campus was that Stephen Straussberg was going to pitch. There were others to do the same as it was the third largest crowd ever for an Aztec baseball game.

Straussberg is expected to be the overall first round pick in the upcoming major league draft. He has it all. He is 6'5", 220 lbs and a 100 mph fast ball. Last night he went seven innings allowing two runs on six hits and one walk. Oh and yes, he struck out only fourteen. He is a sure bet.

Now let's hope he doesn't hurt his arm like Prior and Wood. Neal Patton,my friend I attended wi th was a prospect who turned down the draft and went to SDSU. Then he hurt his arm and his dreams were gone. He etill thinks about that. I have another friend who was also a prospect who hurt his arm. He is from Peru, which doesn't have much baseball, and he pitched in the Dominican at 17. He still has regrets over not making it in a game he clearly loves. Take care of your arm Steve.

San Diego State should be a contender every year, but are mostly also rans. When Tony Gwynn was named manager at the field that bears his name, everyone said that he would be a recruiting genius. What kid wouldn't want to play for a Hall of Famer? I don't mean to demean one of the best hitters of all time, but the word around is that he a little lazy. Today he creates a big shadow, but, unfortuneately, it eminates from a really fat man. He reminds me of the late great Kirby Puckett. Aside from coming out to give the lineups and the ground rules, he sat on the bench while is primary coach seemed to be running the game.

It was a fun evening and I know when Straussberg makes the bigs, I will bore people everytime he pitchs with this story. 'I saw him pitch in college."

Play Ball!

Sam

No comments: