Tuesday, March 10, 2009

HE'S STILL GOT IT!

Observation of the Day!

He is nearly as old as I am, his hair has gone gray, maybe a face lift tightened up the face a little, his pants are still tight and woman still through their panties to the stage, but he's still got it. I'm talking about Tom Jones.

Last night I went with some friends to see Tom at the Belly Up music club. The Belly Up is a small venue (600 capacity) in Solona Beach. It's kind of a dump, full of life. Kind of like me. Tom sang some classic TJ plus new songs from his recently released CD 24 Hours.

The crowd was mostly older of course. Not too much Spandex around, but his fans have never forgot how to get with it.

It brought back memories from 1967. Doe and I and the Koivistos saw Tom on his first major engagement in Las Vegas at the Hilton. I became a fan of Tom Jones even though it has been 42 years since I spent money to see him. How time and life pass before your eyes and ears. Tom Jones in Las Vegas is one of those memories that is never forgotten when ever I see or hear him on records and TV. It is one of those predictable anecdotes that I repeat almost verbatim whenever I see him on TV. "Yes, Dad we have heard that story a thousand times."

Tom's voice and showmanship are still vibrant and his female fans still throw their panties, even if they may now be "granny panties".

It was a fun evening in a time, when fun doesn't happen as often as it should. And it made me feel young again. I was moving it, Baby!

"So I walk on and make my memories"

Line from Tom Jones song, Seasons, from CD 24 Hours

Have a nice day!

Sammy Carl

No comments: