Thursday, July 17, 2008

TWEET,TWEET, SWEET!


Tweeting
OBSERVATION OF THE DAY!

As a man of the 21st century, I have added another really cool symbol of my hipness. I am a Twitterer. This is microblogging, txt messaging the minutia of what is going on at the moment, as if anybody really cares. U txt 2 friend or fellow Twitterer things like,"Im havin a ham sandwich 4 lunch now.", "Wat a cool chck just passed by.", Im going 2 p now."

There are actually groups of Twitterers who meet every once in a while (Tweetups). Recently in San Diego 75 fellow twitterers got together. They ranged from young stylish young ladies to 50 year old men. That is reason enough for me to join a Tweetup.

From the San Diego Union Tribune:

"Twitter (twitter.com) launched in 2006 to a tiny community of Web-savvy folks. (i.e. people of te 21st century) In April 2007, about 200,000 people had caught on. As of April 2008, 1.2 million people were Twittering from places as far away as Brazil, Myanmar, India and China and throughout North America and South America.

“In the last quarter, Twitter has grown bigger and faster than ever,” said Biz Stone, co-founder of the free site. Some would argue Twitter is a little too popular because it often shuts down from being overloaded with too many users.

A glossary
of Twitter terms

Failwhale: The cute whale cartoon that pops up on Twitter when the site is overcapacity.

Microblogging: Short and frequent updates about what you're doing, the minute you're doing it.

Tweet: An update on Twitter. “At the grocery store,” is a tweet.

Tweetup: A meeting of Twitter users from a particular area or common interest. San Diego has monthly get-togethers.

Twitter: A Web site devoted to microblogs that are 140 characters or fewer.

It may seem frightening to share such personal information with strangers, but Shandon Fowler, once a social media strategist for AOL.com and now an author, called it a generational difference. " (not for a man of the 21st century)

"Jennifer Van Grove, 27, is a San Diego Twitterer. She's a social media consultant and uses the site as a way to meet new clients."

"Social media strategist" and "social media consultant?" HUH?

“Grove said, "I go to a lot of conferences, and instead of exchanging business cards, we exchange Twitter names,” Get a life, Jen!

A glossary
of Twitter terms

Failwhale: The cute whale cartoon that pops up on Twitter when the site is overcapacity.

Microblogging: Short and frequent updates about what you're doing, the minute you're doing it.

Tweet: An update on Twitter. “At the grocery store,” is a tweet.

Tweetup: A meeting of Twitter users from a particular area or common interest. San Diego has monthly get-togethers.

Twitter: A Web site devoted to microblogs that are 140 characters or fewer.

I am amazed when I see the amount of texting is done by my teenage Luis. Texting does not promote good spelling. I have found myself starting to write "U" instead of "you" in an email.

And so I twitter, tweet, text and blog my way into the 21st century.

Have a nice day!

Sammy C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sam, I realize that twitter may seem one dimensional to you and that you use it to "txt message minutia" but that just means you either don't understand what other purposes twitter can be used for, or you've got a lot of minutia to share.

As a social media consultant I try to help companies understand how to use social media sites, like twitter, to listen and engage with their customer communities. It's a pretty simple idea, but most businesses have no clue where to start or what they should be doing.

Thank you for being concerned about the quality of my life, but I do have one - and it's a fun one at that. I use Twitter, as well as other sites like Friendfeed, to do a lot more than update on minutia. There's a networking side (which I've blogged about), there's an education side (people share a ton of information), and there's also a very cool social side (which is why I organize the Tweetup).

If you ever want to know more, you know where to find me...[hopefully you gathered I meant Twitter]

jbruin