Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Old Man in the Hat!

Observation of the Day in the Past!

The Old Man in the Hat


Several years ago, I walked into the lobby of the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor. In the lounge area sat an old man dozing in the chair. He wore bib overalls, a blue flannel shirt, white socks, comfortable old shoes and a baseball style cap. On the cap was a simple statement – “Too Old To Give A S**T”. As a statement that captures a state of mind, it ranks right up there with Rhett Butler’s, “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”

It seemed to say: It’s my life; I’ve got the answers, but nobody asks the questions; I’ve seen the world and it’s going to hell in a hand basket. So to hell with it. Don’t disturb me.

It must be relaxing and therapeutic to not give a s**t and tell people right up front before they bother you. Does he really mean it? I doubt it very much, however, consider yourself warned before you engage this curmudgeonly gentleman in meaningless conversation. Unless, of course, you’re a child, then he is old enough to care -- very much.

Have a nice day!

Sam

No comments: