Friday, February 22, 2008

BEFORE YOU ARE ALONE!

In conjunction with yesterday's Observation of the Day, I came across an old poem??? I wrote some years ago. When I wrote it, I was into genealogy and much of my research into my mother's side of the family was a result of my great-aunt Tie's interest in genealogy and family history. She was admitted into the Daughters of the American Revolution, through her research in 1912. She died at ninety-nine years of age.

As with any genealogy researcher, I wished I could ask the unanswered questions that emerged in my family's history. We all wait too long.

Before You Are Alone

I sit quietly, patiently, out of the way,

Ready to answer the questions, that nobody asks.
You’re too busy to ask,
Too bored to listen.

Please see me as a whole person, not just an old person.
Look deep behind my eyes,
Beyond the wrinkled and sagging and spotted face.
See a person who lived your life in another time.

Playing, going to school, falling in love, raising a family,
Wars and depression, turning points, hard times, glad times.
I am a resource to your life,
A living witness to a history of a time -- mine.

Please let me search my softer memory and tell you my stories.
Someday in the dark corner of the attic, you will turn to ask,
And you will be alone.

For now, I will sit quietly, patiently, out of the way,
Ready to answer the questions, that nobody asks.

Have a nice day!

Sam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you wrote this years ago! You have incredible foresight.