Sunday, September 14, 2008

DISNEY????????????????



Observation of the Day!

Does anybody really care about a celebrities opinion is about politics? Most have a left view and can only be classified as hypocrites when contrasted with how they live their luxurious lives. There are smart celebrities, but there are also really stupid ones as well. Does anyone really care what Barbra Streisand, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin etc. think? There are others on the right who are as bad. I actually, however, try to separate their talent from their political opinion. Alec Baldwin is a great actor and a jerk at the same time. I like his performances on 30 Rock. I won't watch Whoopi, because she is not all that talented or funny. Pam Anderson is as dumb as a rock come, but I like her assets. Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears? Spare me, please.

Matt Damon said of Sarah Palin the other day that the Sarah Palin story was like a bad Disney movie. At first I passed it off as another celeb giving a stupid extreme bias opinion. However, the more I thought about it the more I saw his point.

As a creative non-fiction writer myself I have often find true stories better than many fiction stories.

Think about the plot. Ordinary house wife/working mom, hockey mom, five children, owned a ATV/snowmobile business for a while, an outdoor enthusiast, husband a union pipeline worker and snowmobile champion, decides to take on local politics and politicians, wins mayorship of town and springboards in to the governorship. And the final part is she is chosen as the vice presidential candidate. If this isn’t a Mr. Smith Goes To Washington story, what is? It’s the stuff feel good Disney movies are made of. Matt is right. It is a Disney movie, but I am not sure it is a bad one. .

I admire her most because she stands behind her beliefs and character, just like John McCain has. I know I will get boos for this from some of my readers, but I did see Damon’s point. He may have meant it to be small and derogatory, but it is a Disney movie. So What? It is a good one.

Have a nice day!

Samuel C. Arnold

PS. I loved the new Coen brothers movie, Burn After Reading. Great dialogue, great quirky plot, great characters played by a great cast. If you like the Coens, you will love it.

No comments: