Monday, September 8, 2008

DILEMMA OF CHOICE! (revised)

I'm Thinking; I'm Thinking!

I've been thinking about whether I am pro-life or pro-choice. Frankly, it is a tough question for all of us. Can we be both?

I believe life begins at conception. That microscopic fetus has every potential to come to term and grow old like us. Therefore, if it has potential to be a human being,it is alive and growing. A living potential person's life is being snuffed out with no voice to be heard.

I believe that an abortion is a moral issue between the person and God, and therefore, is not a political issue. I will never red line a candidate because he or she is pro-choice I believe true choice is choosing to have protected or unprotected sex in this modern world, where there is an abundance of readily available alternatives. A choice of unprotected sex with a pregnancy following, and then choosing to have an abortion is the fault of the parents, not the life they conceived . The child is often aborted as an inconvenient truth of irresponsible actions.

If I believe that abortion is between the person and God, then that means that the alternatives to have an abortion or not should in fact be a choice, protected by law. In actuality having an abortion might lead to a lifetime of hurt, which could be viewed as a source of punishment.

There is another choice, adoption. I have a a special feeling about adoption because my father was adopted. I have friends who have adopted from other countries. One is a little girl from Paraquay. One was adopted from an orphanage in Russia. One was adopted from a Chinese orphaage. Think of what these precious ones would be if God's plan did not rescue them to loving parents. Biology is baggage good or bad carried from the birth parents, but the person is developed from nurture by the adoptive parents. I wish there were more babies allowed to be born and adopted.

What am I?

I recently was confronted with this question, when a friend of mine got unexpectedly pregnant. It was truly an accident. She had vomited up her birth control pill. She is married, and has other children. There is no question this unplanned pregnancy created problems for her family. She considered an abortion. She even went to a clinic. They counseled her, and then gave her twenty-four hours to make her decision. I told her to look at her beautiful children. There is room for one more, no matter how untimely the whole thing was. I told her I was personally against an abortion, but I would support her whatever her decision. She decided to go forward with her pregnancy. I look forward to the new baby.

The thing admire about Sarah Palin is not whether she is pro-life or pro-choice, but the fact that when confronted with the alternative she had the strength of her beliefs and chose to have little Trig, Downs Syndrome and all.

I guess I am a pro-choicer, who is for life-always. It is truly a dilemma for us all.

Samuel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your last sentence: I am pro-choice, but choose life in most cases. In my life I have condoned TWO abortions, and both were for the right reason, and were done within the first month of conception. Does that make me a good Christian? I have no idea...some one else will jusdge me for that.