Friday, February 7, 2014

The Evolution of Bad Language!

There is no question our language has become courser over my life time. I must admit cursing is my ongoing sin, although I am trying to do better.

Swearing and crude language has come a long way in my lifetime. I remember distinctly going to see Gone with the Wind, as a young teenager. I was truly shocked when Rhett Butler uttered those immortal words, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." That was the first time I had heard a curse word in a movie. Compare that to the 506 times the F-bomb was dropped in The Wolf of Wall Street.

A friend of mine's granddaughter, age about seven, happened to drop the F-bomb at home. I doubt if she even knew what it meant.  Her brother was quick to point out that she learned at the school bus stop. He was about ten.

I remembers, as a kid, the F-bomb was a forbidden word. You even felt ashamed if you used it, especially if it was around a girl or girls.  Now the F-bomb is one of the most popular words with young woman.

Let me take you back to an age of innocence, the late forties, early fifties. Most terms revolved around body parts and bodily functions.  I had a "Johnny", not a penis. My butt cheeks were called "peaches".There is nothing more beautiful than a baby's "peaches". It was common in my family to use the words when loving on a baby," Pinch a peach." Now you could be charged with child molestation. If I had to pee, I would go "wee wee". Of course, there is the infamous "stinker", "Did you let a stinker". Followed by "The dog did it, or silent, but deadly" To poop, the term would be, I have to "grunt". Of course Number 1 and Number 2 were also acceptable. When I was in the hospital last November, I told the nurse I had to go to the bathroom, she actually asked, "Number 1 or Number 2". It's nice to know some things don't change.

When my brother and I were about eight and five, we had a neighborhood friend our age. He was famous for using the term "Shitass." Our mother had a little talk with us that we should not use that bad word. My brother, who was swinging on the door exclaimed, "He says just plain shit too".

Well so much for the evolution of swearing.

Have a nice day. And I still have sweet peaches.

Sweet Little Sammy Carl.





No comments: