Thursday, February 13, 2014

Here Come Da Judge!


"Do not judge, or you too will judged. For the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7: 1-2

I've always been troubled by that oft quoted verse. It is plain that it says that you should not judge others, but how do  we do that? How do you not judge? You most make a judgement in order to make a decision. You must judge, not to judge not. I decided to research some Biblical scholars about this the subject

First I learned that it is often the most misquoted and misused verse in the Bible. You have to go beyond the first two versus.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ' let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your ow eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

So what it says is that before you judge, look at yourself. So it is more about being a hypocrite than judging. We certainly have experienced even the clergy who speaks from the pulpit about sins, but at the same time commit adultery or molestation of you boys.

In order to judge you need for your own house morally in order, We know we are all sinners and will fall short. Our lives must be guided by a moral compass that is a part of every major religion in the world. I have found people when a person charges me with being too judgmental, it is a sign that they know their stuff is not in order. It is an attempt to switch the blame back at you. It is then they invoke the "Judge not...".

The important thing about judging is not judging the person, but judging their behavior. In my case I have little use for drunkenness or drug use, abuse, liars, cheaters, non-payment on loans, or a situation where a person continues bad behavior and expects different outcomes. I am very patient person in my relationships and give the benefit of the doubt and continue to try to help a person in whatever way I can. When things don't change, eventually I must make a decision about whether or not I want to be involved in this person's life.When the negatives becomes too strong, I must move away, but will be there when there is a change, and truly wants my counsel. I usually asked if they had considered the church. I don't push, just put forth an option in which they may see how to get their lives back. It is now time that the person must look at themselves.

I break people in to two oversimplified types, givers and takers. Givers will always continue to give even though they may have burned. Takers will always take. With them it's always somebody else's fault.  I have little room in my life for takers who continue to be takers.

Well that's enough sermon for today.

Have a nice day!

Samuel



No comments: