Monday, January 6, 2014

Hidden in Plain Sight!

I  have dodged Heaven's door five times in my life that I know of, the last time being the closest,when my defribulator did its job. I pray everyday, following Pastor Miles formula for prayer: AWCIPA!

A- Adoration of God giving thanks for the blessings he has bestowed upon me and acknowledging power of God.
W- Wait. Wait in the solitude of your own mind. Silence is a time of gathering peace.
C- Confession for the sins I know and the my sins of which I am unaware.
I- Intervention. Ask for God's assistance in helping people in need of God in their lives. My favorite part.
P- Petition  Giving thanks for the personal blessings bestowed on me and things for which I need God"s help and guidance.
A- More adoration and praise of God our Father. Amen!

The easiest part is praying for others. The hardest part is praying for myself. I consider myself the most blessed man in the world. I never pray for "things".

However, for some time I have been asking God what he wants me to do with the rest of my life. Surely he has given me more time to do something. God always has a plan. With the last heart problem, my prayer became more intense, searching for that elusive answer. I have been saved to do something more on this is earth. God, What is my purpose?

While praying one recent evening, I came to the Petition. "God, what to you want me to do"? It was then that I felt God's answer. "You are already doing it, and you have been doing it for sometime." The answer was right there in plain sight. God wanted me to "pay it forward."

I came from a totally Midwestern background with middle class morals and values. My prayers never missed the blessings I have had. Our parents grounded us in those values, and knew that further our education was a solid building block for the future. Both brothers and I graduated from college, and went on to be blessed in our careers. Character and education are building blocks to living a life well lived.

I had always helped young people by trying to be a mentor to those in whom I saw potential. Over the past few years, I have helped young people with financial humps they may have had. Yes, I was careful not to be taken advantage of. Yes, there were a few, but they were quickly put out of my life. Their problem, not mine.

However, when Mark passed away my world changed. He was getting the bulk of my estate. Now he was gone. I prayed about it, the answer that came back was "Pay it forward". I can't give people character, but I can help them get an education. And so, 80% of my estate is going to two educational foundations In the name of my son and nephew, who died at a young age just eight months apart and to my home town foundation in the name of my parents. 20% will go to my church. I had done this months ago. But I guess God was not through with me. I have a young friend,who is a server at a local restaurant. She had overcome much in her life. She works hard and has faith in God. I always checked with her how school was going. I knew it was always a struggle to make ends meet. I learned she had been accepted as a junior to San Diego State, and she earned a 3.8 her first semester. I knew she had the right stuff. I awarded her my little private scholarship and I felt good about it. The foundation scholarships will not commence until my passing. In the meantime I can continue to seek out more people to help. It is not a give away, it must be earned and not expected.

God showed me my purpose, and it was always hidden in plain sight.

Samuel




No comments: