Friday, September 20, 2013

Catch and Release!

I earned enough money in my career to have comfortable financial security. As a young manager, I was underpaid. As I grew in my job responsibilities and finished out my business career, I was overpaid. In the end it all evened out. I achieved much more than I ever dreamed possible. I am the most blessed man in the world, and more importantly, I know it.

Although some might not believe me, money was never that important to me.  Financial security was always my goal. Just enough to eliminate the fear of a big bad wolf knocking on my door in old age. I provided well for my family and lived comfortably, but I didn't need money to be happy. Money was merely the score card. Living within the Golden Mean was my personal lifestyle. I think of myself as a giver. Midwestern roots and my parent's example were always at my core. Humility is a virtue. I have known several very rich people in my life. The good ones never forgot where they came from. The not so good ones flaunted their wealth, and tried to hide where they came from. I often wonder at the amount of money some people make and still want more. How much is enough?

I have enough money to pretty much buy whatever I want. But I don't want it if I don't need it. Today, I pretty much live my life as a minimalist. I live within my modest pensions, but the money I have put away saves me from unexpected emergencies. I have no physical assets, except a seven year old Camry and my clothes. My one luxury I have is that my back door opens to the Pacific Ocean and the beach. Coronado is always where I wanted to be from the moment I set foot on this island Nirvana on earth. I am comfortable and I am blessed. I have enough. I need no more.

Maslov's Heirarchy of Needs starts with filling the basic needs of life, food and shelter. Hopefully, you progress filling each level of needs until you get to the top of life. At this pinnacle is the need to reach a point of self-accualization and self-realization. It is an understanding of what you and your life has been about. There is no money involved. I like to think reaching this pinnacle is my greatest accomplishment in life. I realize I have been truly blessed. I know who I am.

When I first arrived in Coronado, January 6, 1960 to begin my adult life, I had an education, a job and clothes. I didn't own a car. When I leave, I will pretty much be the same person, looking forward to rewards ahead. Today, I look across the bay from my bedroom window, and I see where I began. I will go out where I began. Most of my life's accumulated money will go to establish two scholarship funds in honor of my son and my nephew, who passed away at too early an age and my parents. I am paying it forward in the hope it will affect a young person's future, and they will be as blessed, as I have been.

In the end, I caught the money, and it was fun, but it is more fun to release it to live on, helping someone else.

Life is good, the future is better!

Have a nice day!

Sammy

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Very cool post, Sammy. I envy you in your financial security. My pensions are not enough to sustain a decent living. I put some away, but college, houses, cars, stock market crashes, etc, etc etc kept it from getting very big. Good thing I have a YOUNG wife with a GREAT job!