Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A NOTE FROM THE LAZY BLOGGER!

Observation of the Day!

Some of my loyal readers have been a little worried because I have not posted lately. I can assure you I am alive and well, but things are a little slow as we in Minnesota await warm weather. It finally broke into a hint of summer with 97 degrees yesterday. You can tell I am a little low on observations, since I am talking about the weather.

I am living with my adopted family the Renyas. Four kids can be tough on an old man, but it is fun playing grandpa. I have a small bedroom with no closet. I bought a clothes rack at Target, so I can hang some clothes, but it is leaning now and might fall over in a heap any minute. I have one drawer and a big cardboard box. The best part of being a guest in the Reyna home is the food. Carolina is the most fabulous chef of Mexican cuisine. This ain't Chi Chi's. This is the real thing. Everything from sauces to cakes are made from scratch. I haven't gained any weight though. Laying off the corn tortillas and small bites of Tres Leche cake helps.

Where am I in my life? Moving on. I am returning pretty much to my minimalist roots. All I have ever needed all my life is a place with a nice bed, a car, a few clothes from Kohls, and my golf clubs. I am a minimalist at heart. As I have eased into codgerism, I find material things are just things. They are not going with me. However, you must forgive me because my little minimalist place in Coronado is on the beach of the Pacific Ocean.

I have found great comfort in my religion. At the Rock church in San Diego and Wooddale in Minnesota, I have moved out of the Catholic Church and back to my Protestant roots. Most of you probably don't know that my church as a boy was a Quaker church. In looking back there are many good things that church practiced. It was a church very much based on peace and the spirit within. Part of each service was a silence to let your thoughts and prayers develop, and the Holy Spirit enter.

A recent series of sermons at the Rock was about the invisible man, the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the part of God that resides in each of us. I am trying to be less judgmental and more forgiving and tolerant. It is working, but I ain't done yet. I haven't gone off on the deep end of religion, but it has become a more important part of my life, and I am still learning why I am a Christian. It is cleansing. If I can't take it with me, I better be sure I make it to the good place. Nirvana is heaven.

And so I move on and make my memories.

Have a blessed day!

Sammy C.

No comments: