Tuesday, May 26, 2009

EXCITEMENT IS MY MIDDLE NAME!

Observation of the Day!

Today I chased a fire truck up Shady Oak Road. This is the first time I have done this in too many years to count. As I left Einsteins, an Eden Prairie fire engine roared passed with sirens and lights breaking up the morning sounds of spring. I thought this was a little odd, since it had crossed into Minnetonka. What the hell, I got nothing else to do so I went north on Shady Oak looking for excitement.

I soon came on the fire scene. It was a strip mall surrounded by fire engines from six surrounding communities. It was a store named TNT. It turns out the owners were unloading some fireworks, but the fireworks had not caused the fire. Apparently the lights went out and a fire erupted in the back.

I was standing against a building gawking, when a guy in an old dirty ball cap, a beard, and a six pack in his bike basket came up and leaned on the building with me. We exchanged thoughts about the fire. They were now pouring water from the tall ladders. He told me he knew the owners and that there would probably be propane and helium tanks inside. That would be the reason for making the fire a five alarmer and all the firetrucks showed up. He told me the roof was rubber and tar that the fire would be hard to put out like a rubber tire fire. I agreed. Of course he repeated the same statement at least five times. However, I like a guy who brings his own beer in his bicycle basket .

The scene reminded me of a highway project. Many standing around and a few doing the work. I counted at least twenty firefighters in a group pretty much watching what I was. There were a minimum of seven cops doing the same. Taxpayer dollars at work. I can't criticize too much that they erred on the side of caution, but at least half of them could have gone back to the firehouse for lunch.

What an exciting day!

Sam

2 comments:

mark said...

hello i have kind of an odd situation afriend of mine had left her house on a sunday morning to go to church, on the way she pulle dover to call a friend who had been sick then about 3-4 fire engines went rushing past . a couple of weeks before a couple of fire trucks rushed past in the same direction so she and her husband turned around and followed them a they lost site of then for a few minutes then came to the fire scene which turned out to be a friends house, so this road further up is also where my friend lived so that sunday she saw the trucks went by and ended up following them to there own house burning. heres the kicker because she was the last one to leave the house and had followed the fire trucks the police charged her with arson, now would you say it is unusual behavior to see fire trucks rushing by and follow them> do you know of any blogs about this stuff my friend needs to get in contact with people who has done this before
thank you

Sam Arnold said...

Mark,
I dont know if you received my answer, since I discovered it was a "no reply" email. If you did you might be puzzled by my signing it Dad. My son is also named Mark, and I didn't check the last name. Anyway, that is a weird story. Don't know the law, but it would seem that her story would exonerate her. Unless of course she did it. Better than forelosure, I guess.

Thanks for continuing to read my attempts at blogging. I have been a little lax lately. Lots on my plate.

Sam