Thursday, October 30, 2008

GOIN' HOME!


Observation of the Day!

Today I depart Coronado for Eden Prairie and serving my two month winter sentence. The weather here has been spectacular, but what's new.

Here are a few observations about my October in Nirvana:

1. The weather has been spectacular all month. Even though it is routine in Coronado to have good weather, I am always amazed that is not taken for granted by the natives. When a day seems to be spectacular the still comment to everyone they meet, "What a great day." They must say this more than 250 times a year.

2. I suspect the economy will take its toll on the snowbirds. I told you the other day of a call from a realtor actually soliciting my business, and the town seems very quiet.

3. My friend Tom, a friend and regular wintertime visitor to Coronado had pretty much washed out this years trip for he and Konnie. However, I received an email from him saying that the weather in Minnesota was 20 degrees with 40 mph winds and that he was coming to Coronado. Economy be damned, he said he will worry about the financial rest of his life after they get back. Good for you Tom.

4. Thing are even slower at the golf course. The Coronado Golf Course does about 110,000 rounds a year. To make matters even worse yesterday, they were aerating the greens and most of the Men's Club either went someplace else to play or took the day off. The normal wait if you are walk-on at the course is anywhere from a half hour on a slow day to up to two hours on a busy day. Yesterday, I decided to just play nine as a farewell to my October visit. I went to the starter to put my name on the list. I was the only one on the list so I had to wait on the waiting list to add another player.

5. I find that my list of friends and acquaintances grows with every trip West. I probably have more friends here than I do in Minnesota. I have a regular golf foursome that I have so much fun playing with. Playing with them is what lousy golf is all about. Thanks to Paul, Hal and Bill for taking me in. Paul is our scorekeeper and rule maker of our rather complicated little golf gambling game. The three of us are grateful for Paul's service. If something unusual happens in a round he makes up a new rule. He also has secret rules that he brings out occasionally when it helps his cause. I have seen more that one player shake his head and asked what just happened, and finally give up and move to the next tee, still shaking their heads. Our game has renewed my interest in golf which was waning some last summer.

6. I went to the Rock Church three times. It is an evangelical church. I am not an evangelical, but I love the pastor and the young people of this church. His sermons are humorous and above all instructive and non-judgmental. It is a very young crowd. They have what I called a Christian rock concert before each service. My niece informed me it is not a "rock concert" but is called "Praise and Worship". They are not singing for the audience, they are singing for God, I was informed. I went to the Rock in company of two of my young female friends, Lindsay, Cece and daughter ,Chelsea. Lindsay had taken me the first time, and I took Cece and her daughter a week later because she was looking for a church that she hopes will help her daughter.

7. I made a new circle of friends through a friend from the Beach Club. I went to a Charger watching party and had a great time. A young crowd keeps me young.

8. I now must return to Minnesota. I am really looking forward to it, as strange as that may seem, but Carolina will be giving birth shortly to my fourth surrogate grandchild. The miracle of birth, as my friend Konnie's father passes away. Life goes on.

Have a great day, wherever you are.

Sammy C.

No comments: