Monday, June 17, 2013

On December 22, 1992 I retired. Today, I reviewed what I wrote on that day. Tomorrow, I will report what has happened since that life changing date.

Retiring

December 22, 1992

The reality of retirement is here.  I am sitting on the forty-ninth floor of the Multifoods Tower in my spacious senior executive office.  The office is basically empty except for the furniture and the desk that once belonged to a long gone president of the company.  This is what I have worked for and this is where my corporate career will end.  Put out to pasture is the term we used to use.  I am moving to a greener pasture.  Never the less, it is a time for reflection and a defining moment in my life.

I had always said that I wanted to retire early.  Fifty-five had been my original target, but the realities of two kids in college moved it to fifty-eight.  Its easy to say you want to retire early when you are younger.  It is still a long way away.  However, as you round the bend of fifty you can now see the date clearly, and you start to think that you really didn't want to hang it up.  You decide you had better keep your mouth shut because someone may take it seriously and retire you.  The fact is you still have a lot of energy and dreams and you are not ready to quit.

Now you turn fifty-one, fifty-two, fifty-three, where does the time go.  It passes so quickly.  Your boss is younger than you and is looking for younger people.  You can feel their need for you slipping away.  The time is drawing near.  The time is today, my fifty-fifth birthday, December 22, 1992.

It is somewhat ironic that it is my birthday because I used to have a ritual on every birthday.  Many times I would be home on a Christmas break and would sit down and write about the past year and where I felt I was in my life and career.  December 23rd would be the first day of the rest of my life.  I always enjoyed the reflection and the renewal for the future.

One could always look on this day as a day of doneness.  I didn't view it that way, but I'd be lying if I told you finishing my career this way was not a little disappointing because it was more on their terms than mine.  I have much to offer the company.  They didn't see it that way and offered me an early retirement package.  I took it,although there really was not much choice.  It still hurts a little, but the hurt will be temporary.

How do you prepare for this day?  You will begin to realize in the later years of your career that you are as far as you are going to go.  It may require some career compromise, and you must deal with it.  You must deal with it if you are going to move on.  This is as good as it is going to get. 

I feel for those who reach this point and for what ever reason don’t not feel they have achieved their goals.  Some of these people gained early and rapid success.  They actually believe their press clippings.  I firmly believe that everything comes full circle in life.  What really matters is where you are at the end of your corporate career.  I was a slow but steady performer and was often my own worst enemy.  I firmly believe that I am not leaving this portion of my life and career with any need to make a compomise.  It is meerly a turning point to the next portion of my life.  Until you come to grips with this concept, you will be in mental termoil and stress.  It his hard to get over that hurdle, but if you don’t you will never find peace of mind.  You suddenly find that the next promotion will not come, but more importantly, you don't care.  You now are interested in bringing to younger managers the value of your experience.  However, don't be surprised if they ever seek your advice.  Just when you have all of the answers nobody asks.

I have been very fortunate because I met and exceeded my career goals.  In the end it was better than I ever could have imagined early in my career.  I have a network of friends, respected by many and am financially independent.  What more could you ask?  Most of my real career success and financial rewards actually came after my heart attack and first bypass operation.  When you quit chasing the gold ring, it often comes back to you.

I retiring from corporate life and going to do something else.  I am writing a book and am developing a sales training program.   I have always wanted to write and now I'm going to try my hand.  I am even thinking of taking a writing course.  I may even make a little money at writing because I am already writing a column for a trade magazine on a monthly basis.

I am developing a second career.  I look forward to helping people in what ever way I can.  I am going to be the foodservice rennaisance man.  Look out world, here I come.

See you tomorrow.

Samuel C. Arnold 
Executive (retired)

No comments: