Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Crown Jewel of the Fourth of July

San Diego was recently voted the most patriotic city in America. To the people who live in this wonderful part of Southern California, it is no surprise. Of course San Diego has always been a military town. It's where I served  my military duty myself. It's how I fell in love with the place. This affair has gone on since January 6, 1960. If San Diego is the king of the fourth of July, the Coronado is the crown the king wears.

July 4th in Coronado is bigger than any other than any holiday of the year. There  are literally 250,000 or more people, crowding our little Island, population 26,000, some wearing some very strange patriotic clothing, I attended my first parade in the summer of 1960, 54 years ago. It was only 10 years old at the time.  At least the parade is older than I am. It's a fun day, but if you don't like crowds stay away.

The 4th of July in Coronado is a time of growing and continuing traditions. I've been here long enough to have traditions. Theyn begin with Johnny Macs BBQ and parade watching. As I looked around the crowd of about 40 people, I saw friends who are true friends. These friendships began at Island Sports and Spirits. The Island was where customers and workers all became friends, a place where everybody knows your name. The Island closed, and we moved on the The Firehouse, which also is now closed, and now Costa Azul and McPs. I hope we don't run them out of business too.

I'm not a big drinker. A couple of beers and that's it, but Coronado bars have been a place for making friends. This actually started for me in the 60s, when our bars of choice were the Manhattan Room, which is now McPS and the Mexican Village is on the sight of its replacement the Firehouse and closed Firehouse.

In many ways some things really don't change much in Coronado. The old bars became the new bars, but the friend making and the socializing both at the bar and around town remain the same.

The second stop was McPs for a little Ron's Garage music, my favorite band. They play the music of my life. Here is another set of friends of Ron's Garage with a little of the  Island crowd mixed in. In Coronado friendships are mixed, matched. and move around.

Next stop, the Beach Club at the Coronado Shores. Here I have third set of friends, but they are older, and I am not the patriarch. Summer brings an influx of seasonal summer renters. Many are very  nice people, but many think they are entitled and just pain rude. They need to be reminded that the Shores is not a hotel, it is a residence complex. One visitor  ask if  there was towel service at the pool, and another wanted to charge his drinks to his room. Summer at the Shores is a time for anger management.

I finished the day watching the Coronado firewoks show, as well as eight other shows around San Diego Bay. "The rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air gave proof through the night that our flag was still there."

I had no nap, so it was time for bed

What a great day. We love our military, we love our friends, we  love our town. It can't get any better.

God Bless America!

Sam


No comments: