Saturday, May 3, 2014

Crash!

I ran across this on Mark's Facebook Page. The boy did have some adventure in his life.

October 5, 2009 at 6:55pm
Ok, so day was a little bit crazy, I have tweeted a lot about today's events. Here's the whole story.

Around 12:15 or so I was sitting behind my computer, playing Farmville and listening to music. I here a plane fly over, louder then normal. It sounded close but we live a few miles from Flying Cloud Airport. About a minute later I thought I heard my mom call from downstairs, I wondered downstairs and she was around. I got that feeling that was not right. I slipped on my shoes and walked outside.

Across the street I could see smoke coming from across the street in between two houses and I heard screaming. I ran across the street, a neighbor was wandering around in a bathrobe. When I got around the side of the house there it was. A small plane on fire!

As I was running across the street a red pick-up came screaming down the street, one guy jumped out and ran not the muddy and steep slope towards the plane.

I will admit that my thought was "Shit, this thing is going to blow up."

I heard "We need a crowbar or a hammer to smash this window out! We need a crowbar!"

I ran back to my house and searched for something big and heavy to swing, of course there wasn't much there, I ran into the house and grabbed two hammers. I ran across the street as two Eden Prairie cops pulled in. I started down the slope towards the plane, without much of a plan. The cops screamed "Sir, get back here, we got it!" I was not one to argue with them or try to be a hero.

At this point they my neighbor Bob and the guy in the pick-up truck had busted the window open and was carrying him to safety. At that point more cops where there. I started to panic a bit because I didn't see my mom anywhere. "Where's my mom?" I asked the weird neighbors. "I haven't seen her"

I realized that her car was here, and I calmed down. I called her. "Where are you?"
"I'm almost home-"
"A plane just crashed across the street"
"Wha-"
"Just get here"

A fireman asked me to move my car further down the street and I did. Mom pulled in around the same time. Around this time, I posted my first tweet from my phone.

"Plane crashes in Eden Prairie. Film at 11. Across the street from me. No shit."

At this point things calmed down, firefighters were putting out the fire and cops and fire were everywhere.

Not more then 10 minutes later I got an @reply from @myfox9

MyFOX9 @Drtiehead can you call 952-946-5767 with any info?

Wow, really, the power of Twitter.

I saw the two guys from the pick-up truck and I talked to them. It turns out they were headed to Lifetime fitness, which is about a mile from my house. They saw the plane, which was a twin engine plan, flying low and they knew it was in trouble and they followed the smoke.

Too call these guys heroes is an understatement, both them and the Bob the neighbor both throw caution to the wind and risked it to save this guys life. Hats off.

I posted this picture, http://twitpic.com/kdzau about 30 minutes after the crash. You can see the two neighbors houses, the plane crashed right between those houses. Bob and his wife Joy lives in the house on the left. Joy was in there kitchen and saw the plane crash into the ground.

Of course my Mom wants me to comb my hair and put on some nicer clothes. I was wearing sweatpants and a zip-up. I decided to change, because the media was here.

I spend the rest of the day, tweeting and talking to the media, I spoke to Fox 9, Pioneer Press, MN Sun, Minnesota Public Radio and a few others.

This could have been a disaster. Had the plane hit any of any of the houses...you don't want to think about it. The fact is, other then a banged up pilot, no one was hurt, no houses were hit, I feel very lucky.

Once everything calmed down I got to admit, I had fun being "that guy" with the media. The first time I was flagged down by the media, I almost started laughing. I kept thinking of the scene from The Informant, "I'm a person of interest in an on going investigation."

Currently it's about 9 at night and there is a mobile command center parked across the street and the wreckage is going to be moved tomorrow morning.

Crazy day...

No comments: