Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Man of the 21st Century Spotted Drowning in Sea of Technology!

As a senior citizen in the year 2000, I dubbed myself Man of the 21st Century. I even had business cards made. I was determined to not be an "old guy", afraid to embrace technology. I admit I was late coming to the cell phone, but once I got one, I was determined to move forward. In the early days I was complimented by younger people on texting. I guess they had never seen anyone my age texting. I was proud that the Man of the 21st Century was being recognized for this major accomplishment.

I was off and running into the 21st Century. I knew I would never be a computer wiz, but I could do everything I needed. I'm an Apple man. I have an Apple 4s Iphone, an Ipod, an Ipad, and a new MacAir laptop. I have written a book, and write a Blog, Looking For Nirvana. I get the majority of my news and information from the internet. If it's on the internet it must be true. Google is the greatest development next to the internet and computer themselves. I was truly a Man of the 21st Century until now.

First of all I have too many devices. Life was simpler without a computer linked to an Ipad and an Iphone and a Ipod and then back again. It gets very confusing sometimes about what you can and cannot do with each device.  Adding apps further gets me confused, not for the apps themselves, but the damned passwords. Everything needs a password. In older apps like Hotmail, I don't even know my password. I created it over twenty years ago. When fat fingers on the Iphone mistype a password several times, they want you to change your password. If you forget your password, they tell you to create a new on. Once you have done this several times, you have passwords on top of passwords. I try to keep them in my notes, but sometimes I forget. I guess I'm not alone and dumb because an Apple Genius told me passwords are among the biggest complaints he gets.

Then there are customer service issues. My complaint with Apple is that they sell software labeled Apple, but not all software is created equal. There is Apple software, then there is software made for Apple by developers. I had a genealogy program, Family Tree. Mark said I should get Reunion, the Apple program. I did and when I went to a one on one to see how to incorporate pictures, the genius told me it wasn't supported by Apple. What the hell I bought it at the Apple store. I understand why they don't support outside programs, but it still pisses me off. As I am an Apple shareholder, my fear is they will get to arrogant.

The only Microsoft app I have is Outlook (Hotmail). Recently, when trying to get various things set up on my devices, I guess I tripped a button because Hotmail was blocked on my new computer. I still get it on my Iphone and Ipad. The notification said that someone might have my Icloud password and might be trying to get into my Icloud mail. I didn't think that had happened because I was trying to straighten out some password changes. The questions they ask were confusing, at least to me. I followed the instructions, and they sent me a code. it was 4 digits. So I entered the code, and it came back that I didn't have 7 digits. What?? I also said the process wouldn't let me back in until May 14. What?? I emailed a MS Outlook support with my problem. No answer back. Then, after much searching I finally found a phone number for Outlook support. I made the call. After going through two menus I was directed to the Microsoft support website. It was where I had been many times before and the questions were the same ones that I couldn't make to work before. What?? I'm at a loss, so I guess I'll wait until May 14and see what happens.

When an old fart gets confused, he is drowning in his own machines.

I know technology is not going to slow down, and am certainly can't speed up. Until then the Man of the 21st Century will flounder furiously to stay afloat.

Have a nice day.

Sammy C.


No comments: